Monday, May 5, 2008

Whole Wheat

Ah, hello again....it has been a long time, many baking experiments undocumented!

I have just taken my first loaf of 100% whole wheat bread out of the oven, made in the No-Knead method from "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day". Here it is, uncut, since it is still hot:
I think it looks rather unimpressive, with a lumpy top as though it is a batter bread, and rather 'brick-like' ! It smells heavenly, though. Soon ( but not soon enough!) I will cut it and take a taste!
Okay, now here is the cooled bread, cut so that I can examine the crumb..


Hard to tell, although it looks to be cake-ey, less like bread than I'd like. Tasting.....Mmmmm.....
It tastes quite good, not bitter like some, nice nutty flavor. I think it will hold up in a sandwich but it may crumble--overall I think it is ok. I'm not sure what I was expecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment